fredag den 18. januar 2013

New family member - Serger Bernina 800 DL


So far, I like everything I've tried with this machine. It is my first serger, therefore everything is very new for me.  I was initially looking at the Janome. But . . . got Bernina from my dear husband as Christmas gift. It ties some really nice knots and is easy to use. This is a really great machine. It's quiet and its powerful and makes beautiful overlocked edges and seams.

Although it's not fully auto-threading, the lower looper is partially self- threading (the part that isn't easily reached has a mechanism for self-threading). The other steps to threading are easy-peasy. I'm able to do it without long tweezers (included with purchase) and I actually find it faster to rethread the whole machine than the cheat method of tying on new spools. But, you must thread the machine in the proper order or it won't form stitches properly. Always 1) upper looper 2) lower looper 3) needles. If your lower looper has to be rethreaded, you must pull the needle thread out from the interior of the machine or, again, the stitches won't form right. Remember that and you'll have no problems.

Tension is easily adjusted with the color coded slides. But it is indeed not easy. I spent a good an hour playing about with fabric scraps before I figured out what to use. It is important, before sewing to work it out for each different fabric if it has a really different thickness or texture.

Being that I've only owned it for less than a month, I haven't found anything that stands out as a negative. If I do, I'll keep you posted.

Conclusion
I've never used another serger, so I have no point of comparison, but I'm really happy with this machine.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar